Saturday, July 28, 2012

First Day Jitters Blog Hop





We all know that feeling. It's super early on the the first day of school (or the night before), and you are double checking everything on your list (and frankly remembering all the things not on your list if you are anything like me!) and your stomach is doing somersaults. Your throat tightens slightly and you look around and realize,

"Oh goodness! It's really the first day of school!"

In less than half and hour you will be bombarded with children, parents, school supplies, and paper work.

Are you ever completely ready for the first day of school?

Never. I have done first days of school for 7 years (I missed one due to changing jobs) and I have never seen it as just another day. Have you?

I am joining up with Ashley at Fierce in Fourth to add my two cents to her First Day Jitters Blog Hop and give the top three things that make me extra jittery for the beginning of this school year.

Fierce in Fourth


Here are my Top Three Jitters!


ONE -  Last year I had 28 students for almost have the year and very little assistance (I teach kindergarten mind you and they still need so much support, so I saw the situation as ridiculous) and I am afraid that the same thing will happen again. Frankly, I am still burnt out from last year's crop I don't know if I will handle it as well as I did last year.

TWO -  That I will never get my centers running in a way that truly works. I had so many issues with centers last year (the kids hated them, there were so many of them and I did not have enough materials, I had to fulfill certain criteria for centers imposed by my region, etc.) Everything that could make centers complicated happened to me last year.

THREE - That I will over do everything. I love extras! I am the queen of too much when it comes to decorating, planning, and expectations. This year I am hoping to curb that instead of enhacing it.


If anyone has any advice to calm my jitters please add it below! :/ 

Don't forget to join this excellent blog hop!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Vicky...I found your blog throught the Jitters Blog Hop. I have 2 posts on my blog that you may want to check out...they are titled, "Let's Get "Centered" Part1 and Part 2. In them, I am sharing a method for centers that I have found extremely easy to implement and manage. I hope you find it helpful.
    Amy
    www.adventuresinteaching.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checked out your ideas and they definitely sound more workable but sadly the principal and reading coach at my school don't see those as workable and when I have tried to follow what I think will work they shot it down and I was told to change it. It makes centers rather frustrating when I have to follow a pre-set format that I am not allowed to change. I guess maybe that is more my complaint than anything else.

      I will definitely see what I can use from your ideas. They are definitely workable. Thanks! :)

      - Vicky

      Delete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my jitters blog hop!!

    I have found SO MANY fun and interesting center activities on Pinterest. I did not change centers as often as I should have last year and that is definitely one of my biggest downfalls. Good luck!

    Ashley @ Fierce in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky, I found your blog through the Rockin' Resources Linky Party, and I totally feel for you! When I had 29 my first year in kindergarten, I felt that most of the time I was controlling behavior. I think that 22 to 25 is more reasonable, but again, we can't control that. Something that did help me were using centers and stations. I tend to think of centers more like places the kids go to that have manipulatives, games, puzzles, and books. I think of stations more like things that you can bring to the students, like ABC bingo, sight word games, etc. I don't know if it would help, but I have made a lot of products that the kids have especially asked for, such as Superhero Bingo, fantasy books, and kid-friendly sight word board games:

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Superhero-ABC-Bingo
    http://www.teachersnotebook.com/product/sharondudley/magical-guided-reading-books
    http://www.teachersnotebook.com/product/sharondudley/apple-sight-word-board-game-basic

    I have a lot of ideas and strategies on my blog if you'd like to take a look. I also tend to use a lot of music, which is good for managing large numbers of kids.

    Just remember you're not alone. We're all here to support you! :)

    Your latest follower,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely advice and I definitely agree that 22-25 is more manageable (by the last month of school I was down to 24 and that was much better than the rest of the year). I definitely will try to use more music this year I have been looking through my CDs and a fellow Kinder teacher's CDs to get some sort of mix worked out. I am definitely going to take a look at your ideas (I need lots because I felt that last year was so boring for myself and my students).
      I appreciate the support and I think that's why I started blogging in the first place. :)

      - Vicky

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness!! 28 kids?! That is insane. I thought 20 was a bit much, but honestly...
    Good luck this year!!


    Your newest follower,
    Margaret
    Kinder Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I definitely have more than last year.

      - Vicky

      Delete

- Vicky

http://themadnessthatiskindergarten.blogspot.com