Monday, September 26, 2011

I Wonder

Kindergarten...the final frontier....or just an easy way to add some gray hairs to anyone's head?? That is a question I ponder on a daily basis.

Why is it that children in groups of 2 or 3 at 5 years of age are so cute and funny to talk to but groups of 22 to 28 of 5 year olds so annoying as a whole? I love children but both times I have taught kindergarten I tell my mother the same thing, "Don't expect any grandchildren unless you are willing to raise them from the age of 3 to 6, then maybe, just maybe, I will take them back."

Either way I have the priviledge of teaching 26 adorable and oftentimes challenging 5 year olds who can't for the life of them figure out not to sit on their knees or their feet or that not all of us need to know that daddy is in jail or any other thing that pops out of their head.

Sometimes I feel like the voice over guy from the Wonder Years:  "I stood there in wonder as one of the sweetest little girls in my class peed on herself because she did not want to bother me by asking to go. I watch her cry as I write her a pass to the clinic and call her mother and think what kind of a person have I become that a little child seems to be in fear of asking to go to the bathroom." (one of many instances lately).

Am I cut out for this? Maybe not, maybe so. I guess only time and my own inner madness will tell.

1 comment:

  1. This whole "at some point" they will be 5yrs old is one of the reasons I still don't have kids. My wife is a teacher, and by golly, I don't envy her job!
    Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete

- Vicky

http://themadnessthatiskindergarten.blogspot.com